Newline disappears (not sure if Gnus or Emacs fault)

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Newline disappears (not sure if Gnus or Emacs fault)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 03:04:49 -0300

Hi,

I've been noticing this behavior for a long time, but yesterday it has
really annoyed me because it made me waste a lot of time trying to
understand why a patch wasn't applying.

The problem: Gnus (or Emacs) is eating some newline characters in
messages.  This happens particularly often with hyperlinks, but
yesterday it happened inside an inlined patch in a message.

So take for example:

---
# This line is a comment followed by an empty line.

-all: bla.c
+all: bla.c blergh.c
---

This would be a normal piece of a patch.  However, I received this:

---
# This line is a comment followed by an empty line.
 -all: bla.c
+all: bla.c blergh.c
---

I.e., the empty line got swalled and became a space character.  I did a
search for "gnus bug newline" or similar terms, but couldn't find
anything useful.

Do you guys happen to know what could be happening?  Maybe it's Emacs
fault?

Thanks in advance,

--
Sergio