Re: How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?

From: Rainer M. Krug
Subject: Re: How to deal with "Archive" and "delete" in gmail?
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:09:18 +0200

wgreenhouse@riseup.net (W. Greenhouse) writes:

> Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a question about using Archive and Delete when accessing gmail
>> via gnus. I am aware, that Archiving can be achieved by "deleting" the
>> message in gnus from the e.g. inbox (B DEL), but then I always have to
>> confirm with "yes". Also, it might be dangerous when using this on other
>> accounts.
>>
>> In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
>> folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>>
>> Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
>> delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
>> especially archiving several message becomes a pain.
>>
>> Would it be possible, to define a key (possibly A) to archive, while E
>> still expires (i.e. deletes) the email?
>
> See the variable `gnus-move-split-methods.'  You can set [Gmail]/All
> Mail as the default move target for your Gmail nnimap groups, then when
> you mark a bunch of messages and do B m that will be the default choice
> for moving.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> In contrast, "Deleting" can be achieved by moving the message to the
> folder [gmail]\bin (or what it is called in the locale one is using).
>
> Now I am using Expire to move the emails to the bin folder, i.e. to
> delete them. But is there something similar I could use to Archive them?
> especially archiving several message becomes a pain.
>
> Would it be possible, to define a key (possibly A) to archive, while E
> still expires (i.e. deletes) the email?

See the variable `gnus-move-split-methods.'  You can set [Gmail]/All
Mail as the default move target for your Gmail nnimap groups, then when
you mark a bunch of messages and do B m that will be the default choice
for moving.

This looks like a good option. But I am still struggling with the regexp
for groups (maybe because I do not understand the naming of groups?).

So I have my gmail account defined as primary source:

(setq gnus-select-method
               '(nnimap "gmail"
                        (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                        (nnimap-server-port 993)
                        (nnimap-stream ssl)
                        (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                        (nnmail-expiry-target "[Gmail]/Bin")
                        (nnmail-expiry-wait 2)))

and I would like to set the default move target for all groups in this
primary source to "[gmail]/All Mail":

(setq gnus-move-split-methods
        '(("nnimap.*" "[gmail]/All Mail")))

but it is not working.

I assume it is something wrong with the regexp "nnimap.*" - my reasoning
was: match all groups which start with nnimap.

This regexp also concerns other configuratios which are not working...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)