Re: Abbrev expansion after @ in address field?

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: Abbrev expansion after @ in address field?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 07:30:13 +0100

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> "K.P. Huang" <kphuanghk@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like, say, "meo" to expand to "my.email.org" after "@".
>>>
>>> So for any arbitrary "user"
>>>
>>>   user@meo
>>>
>>> would expand to
>>>
>>>   user@my.email.org
>>>
>>> Is this possible?
>>>
>> That's possible by M-'  abbrev-prefix-mark
>>
>> Type user@  then M-' , it will become user@-,  type meo follow by, it will
>> expand in the way you want.
>>
>> It has been clearly stated in the documentation (info "(emacs) abbrevs"),
>>  at menu "Controlling Abbrev Expansion". HTH.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to the documentation.
>
> This works expect for expansion in the address fields in Gnus (which is
> where I would like expansion following @ to work).  In this case
> expansion just doesn't happen, with or without a prefix.
>
> Maybe someone on the in the Gnus newsgroup can enlighten me.  I assume
> it is some sort of conflict with the regular Gnus magic which expands
> addresses out the BBDB.

If abbreviations in address fields don't play nicely with BBDB
expansion, does anyone know whether it is possible to have "generic"
addresses in BBDB?  What I means is that if a string, say "alice"
doesn't match a known address, then on pressing the tab-key it could be
optionally expanded to "alice@default.email.org".  Does BBDB support
anything like that?

Cheers,

Loris