Re: How to get mail from localhost?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: How to get mail from localhost?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 21:58:06 +0100

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

>> If you open nnml:mail.misc, what happens? I would expect email from
>> /var/mail/boudiccas to end up there, when you ask Gnus to fetch email.

> Yes, it is there, and this is the summary -
> R  [   5: Cron Daemon            ] Cron <boudiccas@london> DISPLAY=:0
> /home/boudiccas/bin/notify #backup /home

So you have an email shown, which looks like a local one, right? From
Cron.

> So having seen the display above, is there any way I can get a 'sane
> display' in the summary.buffer like 'date-time-source-subject' please?

What is non-sane about what you see?

It shows State (R=Read), Number of lines (5), From (Cron Daemon), and
Subject.

You can configure what is displayed - see the manual:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_60.html#SEC60

> Looking at the opened '.newsrc.eld' I see that it suggests that you
> 'touch .newsrc', so I closed gnus down, did the 'touch .newsrc' and
> restarted gnus, but the display shown above still retains the same
> format.

I think this is a red herring.

Things to do with .newsrc is from the time where you would use multiple
newsreaders and have them share information about what newsgroup you had
read.

The format of the Summary buffer is unrelated to .newsrc and .newsrc.eld.

> That display is an artefact from my previous attempts to run gnus, and
> I would dearly love to purge my system of it, but I can't find in
> which file it is stored.

If you want to delete an email, you can press B DEL to delete it. Why do
you want that, though?

> One of the sites that I've been following is at
> http://koldfront.dk/text/gnus-email-tutorial.html#thebasics which I've
> subsequently learned is your site Adam!

Well, I did write that I wrote it when I presented the link to you
earlier today, so it shouldn't be a big surprise ;-)

> I've now set a daemon in my '.gnus.el'

If I were you, I would start by making the simple things work, and when
they do, only then move on to automating stuff.

I.e. send yourself an email on the machine locally, and see that Gnus
can pick it up, and you can read it.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Sunday morning when the rain begins to fall                 Adam Sjøgren
  It's the end of the world"                             asjo@koldfront.dk