Re: They were right -- Gnus is better

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: They were right -- Gnus is better
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:31:28 -0600

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

> * Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> I wanted to start using Emacs to handle my mail. I had initially
>> decided to use VM, because while I like newsreaders, it didn't seem
>> like a rational idea to use a mailreader that tries hard to think it
>> can't delete anything.
>
> Did you read about advanced expiration features?
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Expiring-Mail.html

Yes, I read about all sorts of setups for expiring mail in the manual,
and I finally decided on setting nnmail-expiry-wait to immediate, and
binding the "d" key to gnus-summary-put-mark-as-expirable-next.  That
way when I hit "d" the way I'm used to doing in other mailreaders, it
marks that message as eligible for deletion, and when I leave that mail
folder, everything that was marked for expiry gets truly deleted.  That
really works for me.

>> It's all working fantastic...but here's the question:  If I launch Gnus
>> with gnus-no-server, I can read the local spool and avoid connecting to
>> NNTP/IMAP/POP, which is great, and I use that often.  What if I want to
>> connect to IMAP only with a gnus-no-server session?  Is there a way to
>> do that?  If not, it'd be a nice feature in a future version,
>> especially since while email is a part of daily life, these days,
>> Usenet really isn't.  It'd be nice to be able to have mail-only
>> connectability on demand in the menus if that's not possible now,
>> for those times when you want to see IMAP but would rather leave your
>> news server out of it.
>
> gnus-no-server will start Gnus in level 2, so should contact servers
> with groups at level 1 and 2.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Group-Levels.html

Ok that's solves that completely.  :)

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent