Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 08:38:48 -0600

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> You seem to be very confused.

Probably...

> The key binding for name completion is Meta Tab, M-TAB,
> not Alt Tab A-TAB.
>
> Perhaps your keyboard is ill-configured too.
>
> You should ask advice on how to map a meta- modifier key disctinct from
> the alt- modifier key (if you needed the later at all)

I do know about the history of Emacs and Lisp...and space cadet
keyboards, and the Meta, Super, Hyper keys...

But really...  On a modern x86 Intel-based PC (which is what probably
over 90% of users running Emacs today are using), "Meta" is your Alt
key.  We can all swear an oath to always call it Meta out of deference
to Richard Stallman and very expensive rackmount machines in the 70's
that were purpose-built to run Lisp, but...oh come on, it's your Alt
key, right?

The real gist of my question was that one's window manager (kwin,
WindowMaker, etc.) will almost certainly just think of Alt as Alt, and
won't care for what historical reason Emacs wants Alt-Tab (um, Meta-Tab).

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent