Re: multi-email gnus setup questions

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: multi-email gnus setup questions
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:22:49 -0700

> `nnmail-expiry-targets' isn't a server variable, just a regular
> variable. Also, there's no `nnimap-expiry-targets', and
> `nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets' only lets you base expiration on group
> names, not backends. Here's what I do (outside of the server
> definition):
>
> (setq nnmail-expiry-target 'my-expire-gmail-imap-message)
>
> (defun my-expire-gmail-imap-message (group)
>   "In gmail-based imap groups, expiry should happen by moving the
>   message to the corresponding [Gmail]/Trash folder."
>   (if (string-match "nnimap\\+\\(several\\|gmail\\|backends\\):" group)
>     (format "nnimap+%s:[Gmail]/Trash" (match-string 1 group))
>   'delete))
>
> That expires everything in a Gmail imap account to the corresponding
> [Gmail]/Trash folder.

Hmm.. ok, so outside of the server definition, just in the main .gnus.el
fail (not in the scope of anything else), I've tried putting:

(setq nnmail-expiry-target 'my-expire-gmail-imap-message)
(defun my-expire-gmail-imap-message (group)
  "In gmail-based imap groups, expiry should happen by moving the
  message to the corresponding [Gmail]/Bin folder."
  (if (string-match "nnimap\\+\\(homemail\\|workmail\\|funmail\\):" group)
    (format "nnimap+%s:[Gmail]\Bin" (match-string 1 group))
  'delete))

[So in my Gnus groups, I see things like:

3:nnimap+homemail:INBOX
7:nnimap+homemail:Madness
9:nnimap+workmail:INBOX

etc.

And my Gmail boxes are [Gmail]/Bin rather than [Gmail]/Trash]

The resulting behaviour, when I open up the Gmail webclient, that the
deleted message indeed disappears from the Inbox, but does not appear in
the [Gmail]/Bin directory. (I.e., as far as I can, it must just be
matching the 'delete rule).

I've also tried setting (setq nnmail-expiry-wait 'immediate), but that
doesn't seem to make a difference.

Finally, I also tried changing the regex to:

nnimap\\+\\(homemail\\|workmail\\|funmail\\):.*

but that also doesn't work.

Any ideas where something could be going wrong?