Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: nnimap woes after debian upgrade
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 12:20:48 +0800

Pierfrancesco Caci <pf@tippete.net> writes:

> Hi Eric,

[...]

> I'm rereading the manual as you suggest below, and from that, and also
> from the fact that it was working before with the very basic config, I
> understand that (nnimap "somename") attemtps to use somename as a
> hostname, unless there's something specified with
> nnimap-address.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

[...]

>     Eric> The error message says it all: change my\.imapserver\.it to the
> string
>     Eric> "my.imapserver.it" and you should be fine.
>
> I've tried this by changing the variable from inside emacs
> configuration. I still get the escapes back when I save.

Did you put quotes in explicitly when entering the server name? You
should see the double quotes in the customization interface.

> Interestingly, I can access the server fine if I "browse remote server"
> and enter the required info manually

When you enter the server name at the prompt, it's automatically treated
as a string and quoted.

>     Eric> If the upgrade is taking you through several new versions of
>     Eric> Gnus, it's
>     Eric> probably worth going back to the Gnus manual and reading the
>     Eric> section on
>     Eric> IMAP again, just to make sure you've got everything right.
>
> This is "the" manual, right? http://www.gnus.org/manual/big-gnus.html

You'll be best off using the in-Emacs info browser: "C-h i", and then
"m" and "Gnus". That way you'll know that the manual you're reading
corresponds to the Gnus you're using.

HTH,
Eric