delete vs expire in nnml

From: Saša Janiška
Subject: delete vs expire in nnml
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 11:13:38 +0100

Hello,

I want to use notmuch as search engine for my old-mail archive stored
under nnml back-end. When indexing my database, notmuch does complain
aobut several not-properly formatted messages, so I would like to take
adavantage and trim my old-archive a bit…

However, I noticed that despite of selecting several (problematic)
messages as expireable and trying to manually invoke expire for all
expirable messages (they’re e.g. from 1999.), the messages were neither
deleted from the hard disk nor were nnml’s active file updated.

Otoh, using B DEL to manually delete messages, everything seems to be
OK, iow. message is deleted on the disk *and* ’active’ file is updated
as well, so I’m humbly asking for some help since it looks that my
understanding of nnml’s delete/expire is not complete?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One must deliver himself with the help of his mind, and not
degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul,