Re: how can I keep gnus from Hiding All Threads when open a group

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: how can I keep gnus from Hiding All Threads when open a group
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 13:37:24 -0400

>> I notice when I open a group, gnus hides all threads seemingly
>> automatically.
>>
>> But when opening really large groups; 12,000 and up, even 50,000 msgs
>> that process of hiding all threads can become a hefty time sink.
>>
>> Even when unplugged and all the messages are already downloaded.
>>
>> How could I go about telling gnus to leave the threads unhidden or
>> would that have the effect I'm hoping for... i.e. speeding up opening
>> really large groups.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hiding" -- do you mean the threads
> are folded? Like you only see the top message in the thread and have to
> expand it to see the rest?

Yes.

I got the terminology from gnus itself.... when I open a large group
After showing a message about generating the summary buffer, it shows
a message of `Hiding all threads' and then a count usually only
displays the thousands.

> Anyway, I doubt this is the source of the slowdown -- asking Gnus to
> display 50,000 messages in a summary buffer is going to be slow no
> matter what. Turning off threading altogether should help some, but
> that's all I can say.

I do realize that groups of that size are really really slow.
I have some experience in that area.

However unless the `hiding all threads' message is misleading and
doesn't really have anything to do with what is happening, I can see
the wait growing longer by watching `hiding all threads'; 1000 ...
...2000 ....3000 the waits between are relatively short but after about
4000 the waits between ouput grow exponentially.  Getting up to 7/8
thousand the wait between 7 and 8000 is quite lengthy.  I haven't
timed it or I'd post the times.

That's what gave me the idea of cutting out the thread hiding.... Also,
must of what I do in there means I have to SHOW threads anyway `T S'
so I have to undo the Hiding anyway.

Writing that made me think it might be a setting of my own doing.

Can one set how threads are displayed when a group is opened?