info-gnuts

[Info-gnuts] starry-eyed shortcoming

From: Helena Duke
Subject: [Info-gnuts] starry-eyed shortcoming
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 04:46:24 -0500

She had been listening to the fox singing sotenderly, so tenderly, as he wandered round the house. He washed himself and went outside, whilst the womenwere preparing breakfast. The boy smiled to himself andbrought the gun to his shoulder. She stood silent, her head slightly on one side. Ifeel quite sick with the smell of his clothes. Well then, he said, I should love it, if youd let me pay myboard and help with the work. She had regainedher composure and her soft, even, creamy complexion. He creptvery, very gently up the one step, and along by the wall, till hestood outside their door. He would, no doubt, be comingsniffing round. Oh, I dont mind, said Banford: although she DID. Where am I going to find a place in the village to stay? His face beamed, and he almost rubbed his hands with pleasure. The word seemed to rock in her as if she were dying. It happens like a supreme wish, a supreme act ofvolition, not as a dodge of cleverness. One ought NEVER to try todo a kind action. Then he immersed himself again in theintense and isolated business of reading. But she only looked at him with a wide, dark, vacant eye. He loved to be outalone with the gun in his hands, to watch, to see. And his wonderful black-glinted brush was full and frictional,wonderful. Banfords eyes were red, she had evidently been crying. Both women looked at him: March rathersurprised-looking, as if she had hardly known he was there. The old oak planks werecold under his feet, and they creaked preposterously. Shepushed back her hair vaguely and washed her hands. Then the youth began to read again, and Banford perforce returnedto her book. Whatever have you been doing all this time? And then her odd, shrewd speechmade him laugh outright. She turned her face aside, her mouth suffering as if wounded, andher consciousness dim. Big stars were snapping outside,beyond the ridge-tops of the pine trees. He sat up in bed and strained his ears tohear what they said. Why, came Marchs vague voice, what do you want to waste yourmoney for? Then the youth began to read again, and Banford perforce returnedto her book. In the distance he heard a fox yelping: and the dogs from the farmsbarking in answer. A penny for them, said Banford sarcastically. The lad walked downhill to where the farmsteadwith its few pine trees crouched blackly.