info-mtools

Re: Howto use mtools on a usb floppy?

From: Pierre Bourgin
Subject: Re: Howto use mtools on a usb floppy?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:10:37 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Larry Alkoff wrote:

 > I want to access a usb Teac floppy drive in a Linux laptop with mtools.
 >
 > It's mounted on /mnt/usbfd and I can access it with
 > ls /mnt/usbfd
 > or
 > cat /mnt/usbfd/file.
 >
 > When I try mdir a:
 > I get
 > init: set default params
 > Cannot initialize 'A:'
 >
 > How can I access the floppy with mtools?

Hello,

At first, you must not mount your floppy drive while using the mtools
!! The mtools are designed to avoid mounting removable devices

You must tell the mtools 'who is' a:, by the use of /etc/mtools.conf; it's
probably look like this in your case:

drive a: file="/dev/usbXXXX"

where /dev/usbXXXX is the device of your floppy drive (the one you use to
mount it on /mnt/usbfd - take a look into /etc/fstab about it).

Regards,

Pierre Bourgin