info-mtools

Re: Needed option (fwd)

From: David C Niemi
Subject: Re: Needed option (fwd)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:17:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 5 Aug 2002, Fredrik Stax{ng wrote:
> Given documentation for the 3com card it should not be hard to
> enhance Donald Becker's utility to do what you want.
>
> There is a way to make a DOS boot diskette with mtools. The problem
> is that you need a DOS boot diskette to extract some pieces from,
> and then you might as well copy the disk with dd, and erase the
> things you don't need on the copy.
>
> Anyway, if you are interested, here is how it is done
>
> mformat -t 80 -s 18 -h 2 -B bootsect.dos a:
> mcopy io.sys a:IO.SYS
> mcopy msdos.sys a:MSDOS.SYS
> mcopy command.com a:COMMAND.COM
> mcopy drvspace.bin a:DRVSPACE.BIN
> mattrib +s +h +r a:io.sys a:msdos.sys a:drvspace.bin
>
> You need to get the bootsect.dos file with something like
>
> dd if=/dev/fd0 of=bootsect.dos count=1
>
> I think you should suggest this to the freedos people also. They
> have all the pieces, they just need to make their format.com
> compile and run under Linux.

This isn't really needed -- only to know which of their files are needed
to boot a floppy, and copy them there under Linux.  If the license of
FreeDOS is compatible, it might make sense to automatically do this, by
bundling them into Mtools or something along those lines.

David C. Niemi  (Reston, Virginia, USA)  address@hidden
Know the difference between the color of the wine and the
color of the glass.  (Jalaluddin Rumi)