info-sather

Re: Language extensions

From: Keith Hopper
Subject: Re: Language extensions
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:55:26 +1300

On 16/01/11 12:17, Marek Janukowicz wrote:

Btw. there is another question - what is the proper way (if any) to go with
language extensions? One thing that I *really* miss since I starting writing
stuff bigger than a few classes is some kind of namespaces. Because right now
I'm ending up with class names like MUSH_NET_HTTP_REQUEST_GET (MUSH being the
general name of my library). I could try taking a shot at implementing it on
compiler level (doesn't sound like something terribly complicated)

......eerrrrrr!! Whether modern linkers have improved the situation or not I am not sure, but in earlier days the problem was the name mangling involved to get identities for linkable items which were short enough - and still sufficiently recognizable - to work with the various linkers around (some of which just truncated too-long identifiers). This is not just a compiler issue - rather one of the compilation environment.

        YHBW,

                Keith