invoke-dev

[Invoke-dev] particularly sacrilege

From: Julian Sykes
Subject: [Invoke-dev] particularly sacrilege
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:41:35 +0200

We keep a close look at other software and right now the most important discussion is communication, getting IFC to work. it probably works if Michael Schumacher is behind the stick, same with ADT. I know I am not the end all authority on this, but trust me when I say Archicad and Revit are different in their approach but they both get out CDs just fine and build their models just fine.
Autodesk has acquired the Revit company due to the failure with Architectural Desktop; it wanted a BIM, to compete head to head with ArchiCAD.
And for the record I have Revit for free as part of the Software Agreement that my University has with Autodesk and I pay for AC and will continue to do so.
Graphisoft keeps worring about running out of cash? We are doing the same thing in our office right now.
Autodesk is being aggressive with this offer. This is the gory point.
The maker can copy it unlimited times, and sell it by market strategy.
I was referring to the Autodesk vs Graphisoft religion, very much like Microsoft vs Apple.
The numbers are changing, as Autodesk is pushing hard with the upgrades to Revit; they sell both autocad and revit in one bundle, thus raising the figure for Revit and pushing BIM into their market. I was not talking extras, only subscribtion that keeps your software alive, that allows you to have all the version upgrades.
I feel like I am listening to a broken record. and it seems to be working. Just like ArchiCAD it has limited sketching and crappy rendering.
I taught both to myself through manuals bought on Amazon and tutorials that come with the programs.
You can run the application for as long as you want, with no need for phone service and yearly updates.
Autodesk sells for less, for a limited time, and broadens its client base.
I will start to eat only at MacDonalds then.
This politics is so successful, that allows Autodesk to have enough cash to acquire other companies.
At risk of sounding biased, I prefer facts to rumors.
This means that Autodesk will keep leading the market in terms of number of users, and more clients means a sweet base for present and future profits. They are just trying hard to help people to upgrade to the latest versions, and are also trying hard to win new clients.
That is to say, they both work.
It will be very interesting.
As ArchiCAD invented BIM, all of its clients count as BIM licences.
Autodesk is trying to flood their current customer base with the software to keep them from thinking about moving to a different manufacturer.
They are just trying hard to help people to upgrade to the latest versions, and are also trying hard to win new clients. of functions from both programs.
Graphisoft still has problems with that. This means that Autodesk will keep leading the market in terms of number of users, and more clients means a sweet base for present and future profits.
I know I am not the end all authority on this, but trust me when I say Archicad and Revit are different in their approach but they both get out CDs just fine and build their models just fine. It will be very interesting. Have you seen their range of products?