invoke-dev

[Invoke-dev] dilemma notably

From: Henry Riley
Subject: [Invoke-dev] dilemma notably
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:24:23 -0400

or Google Maps and everything breaks.
I imagine the main problem was the heat - sitting in a stuffy lecture theatre on a night like Tuesday's wasn't a hugely attractive proposition, but the talks were more than worth it. Programmers on those VMs get more productive languages, while users of those languages gain access to enormous existing class libraries, not to mention the promise of significant performance boosts.
I gave talks about it at both BarCamp and Euro Foo - it's decentralised single sign-on that works, and it's trivial to implement thanks to really solid libraries for most programming languages. If you rely on a library to abstract away the browser bugs from you you are certain to run in to a bug that you can't fix sooner or later. Download for your pleasure.
Don't use libraries as crutches; if you're not prepared to figure out what the library is doing for you you'll end up in a world of pain further down the line. _javascript_ Libraries are an enormous topic but I felt we did them justice considering the time available.
The talks really deserved to be seen by more people; if you weren't there you missed out on a treat. The solver itself was pretty straight foward; the hand-rolled OCR routine to deal with the Times' dodgy scanned JPEG a little less so.
I'm still using it, although some of the things I liked initially have faded while others have emerged.
Solve these problems once so you can get on to the interesting task of building the application. Both were excellent events in their own right, and great examples of event organisation done on a small to non-existent budget.
I can't wait for next year. I can't wait for next year.
You can use it to get an idea for how long it took between the HTML starting to load and the browser beginning to pull in the CSS, then the images, and so on.
According to the authors, doing this with _javascript_ requires painful code forking. Remember, all valid JSON is valid _javascript_ but the opposite is not true; JSON is a subset. Can items listed here make great gifts?
I think my brain is full.
They cover the bases effectively and each one offers something interesting that makes it worth studying in its own right. Whatever it's doing, it works surprisingly well. People often ask me the same back, so here are three things that have been catching my attention recently. It went OK, but I really should have spent more time getting the slides right.
_javascript_ Libraries are an enormous topic but I felt we did them justice considering the time available.
As soon as I did that I lost the ability to browse offline. Good _javascript_ code takes advantage of its dynamic, functional nature.
That's why I've left my image setting above to check every five minutes. It went OK, but I really should have spent more time getting the slides right. I gave talks about it at both BarCamp and Euro Foo - it's decentralised single sign-on that works, and it's trivial to implement thanks to really solid libraries for most programming languages. If you rely on a library to abstract away the browser bugs from you you are certain to run in to a bug that you can't fix sooner or later.
It offers a replacement for the native browser XMLHttpRequest object that is slower, less fully-featured and does a bunch of crazy extra work behind the scenes.
It went OK, but I really should have spent more time getting the slides right.
It contains pictures and free movies.