isarmathlib-devel

Re: [Isarmathlib-devel] Metric spaces

From: daniel
Subject: Re: [Isarmathlib-devel] Metric spaces
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:23:42 +0200

I considered you're ideas and I think you're right. Changing the definition of metric, we can get metric_positive in a linearly ordered group. This new definition is equivalent to the previous one in an ordered ring. I'm not 100% sure, so let me get you back on that in a couple of days.

I'd be utterly surprised that only a linearly ordered group is necessary.

Daniel

Daniel,
I am surprised that it is sufficient to have an ordered-ring valued metric to get a topology. Why not a (nontrivial) linearly ordered group then? I think you can show
metric_positive without using the unit, same with  balls_coverS. Am I missing something?

Slawekk