jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] rsync files

From: Bas Jansen
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] rsync files
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:04:33 +0100

Yeah that would work :P also i a lot of stuff and here are the new
files.

Fixes from 0.1 to 0.2 (don't look at the cvs id number... it's something
i use to make sure i don't lose changes is all).

* Rsb --link-dest functionality has been repaired, it was broken when
rsync started using the jail since it couldn't open a ssh connection to
the machine (fix is storing the file with last run time on the local
machine in /root/log/last.
* Wrote a jk_create script which makes sure you have 256 loopback mounts
active (if not it starts the module). builds a block-level file system,
mounts it (loopback), copies the root environment to there. unmounts it
so it can be used later on as a root file system template.
* jk_prepare now uses loopback mount for the root file system per user
instead of 1 mount which is remounted (--bind) a lot per user. This has
the bonus that if the system is compromised the hacker would only see
the username in /etc/passwd that he allready knows (since he broke
it....) instead of all the other usernames (like what would happen in
using bind mounts).
* fixed a bug that would make rsync not work if you the starting path
was something other then / (ie /export/home) and re-enabled relative
option (which was causing problems in an earlier version).
* Changed the config file for rsb from a plain text file to a script so
it automatically fills in the hostname as username to backup (I made the
assumption here that in a large back up environment the accounts will be
named after the machine for transparancy).

TODO:

* Think of a name for the total package (tempted to use Panther, if it's
not taken)
* Write some user-land scripts for more easy use, like a menu or GUI
(guess i have to play around with Glade) so the users don't have to use
command line if they don't want to.
* Further test the restore script so it can go in 0.3.
* Get feedback and/or feature requests (hopefully)

Greetings,
Bas "Tarskin" Jansen