jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] help , Keith

From: Stephen Tallowitz
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] help , Keith
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:32:14 +0200

Hello again,

> 2 is a bit of a funny alternative, jk_lsh is designed as alternative for
> bash if you want to disallow interactive shells. So if you want an
> interactive shell just do 1 and don't use jk_lsh.

this may be true for bash, but I remember (from the back of my foggy memory
somewhere), that I once experimented with freenx and there was a difference if
I executed some freenx program directly, or ran it from "within" jk_lsh. This
was the difference between being able to execute some programs in KDE and not
being able to do so. So jk_lsh had an effect on programs being executed from
within jk_lsh.
Please don't ask me when and where and what the name of those programs were. It
was a foggy haze, I didn't write anything down and scrapped the results of my
test (wasn't happy with them).

Just sprung to my mind: "Locking down" bash can be achieved too, there is a
"restricted" mode. Might be something to create a jail but still having to hand
out different levels of access to different users within that jail.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_75.html.
Well, this sounds just like the thing Keith was looking for. Different users,
but each locked to their home directory. Keith, if you do try this out please
tell us how your experiments went ;-)

Cheers,
Stephen