jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] Run apache/tomcat process from a jailed user account

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Run apache/tomcat process from a jailed user account
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 22:03:05 +0200

Tanveer Chowdhury wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> Apache is run as daemon and which is outside the jail and run using
> /etc/init.d/httpd.
>
> Now please help me on how to run this apache using the jail user.
> I tried with sudo but it says this:
> sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory

1) a user inside a jail cannot control a process outside the jail. It
can be used to escape the jail, so why then use a jail after all?
Perhaps two different users suit your needs?

2) sudo inside a jail is tricky, it needs a lot. For example all pam
libraries and subsystems. I wouldn't recommend to do it unless you're
experienced with chroot jails.

regards,
        Olivier