jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] umask to allow group write

From: Ben
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] umask to allow group write
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:25:39 -0500

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 21:27 +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 05:42 PM, ben wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to setup an scp/sftp only jail with a umask of 0707 (user
> > and global no read/write access, group read/write access) so that people
> > can upload files, but not access them once uploaded, however I cannot
> > seem to get the jailkit to add write access to the group - it only seems
> > to allow read access or no access, regardless of what I set the umask
> > to.
>
> umask doesn't change the permissions of a user, it only changes the
> default access rights of a file.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail on your configuration? Does this setup
> work without a jail?
>
> Olivier

I understand how umask works, setting it to 0707 would mean that when
they upload the file, the permissions should be such that the user
doesn't have any permissions, but the group does, thus preventing the
user from reading the uploaded files (it's multiple people uploading
with one user account), but still allowing my script to access them via
the group. Setting a umask of 0707 normally works fine, but with the
jailkit it only seems possible to set the user permissions to anything
more than read or no permissions.

Cheers,

Ben