janosik-user

[Janosik-user] down-to-earth respectability

From: Catherine Haney
Subject: [Janosik-user] down-to-earth respectability
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:00:57 -0000

If you would live, you must now come up to the light, out of thedepths of your learning. Was he, then, fated to leave on theblack touchstone of bereavement his mark of spuriousness?
If you have the patience todive deep, you will find all calm there. Yet I was bound hand and foot by your devoteesin this dungeon of devotion.
In Damini I see another aspect ofUniversal Woman.
It seemed to me that it was my devotion to her which Damini was usingthe mongoose to show off.
The day was fast declining, and the moon was long pastits full.
Thus had Satish received from and given to his uncle his all. Andwhile in such half-conscious state I actually felt a deep breathingsomewhere near my bare feet.
I am in awful trouble with the mongoose,she said. When I got Satish alone at last, I said to him: Look here, Satish! He must come up for the free breath oflife. They have gone to a better place, said Shivatosh.
In the drama which was being played, the hero and the heroine spoketheir parts aside. Surely it was not that primeval creatureof my imagining! River after river Icrossed, and trudged over endless fields.
But, allthe same, I have no patience with a man who can thrust out his legs atyou like that. So that was the reason for her lack of time. It seemed to me that it was my devotion to her which Damini was usingthe mongoose to show off.
The gods,being fortunate, did not feel bound to give it a hearing.
There was a mongrel pup, whose looks were on a par with its breeding. Satish, who was there with us, was dumbfounded. But other little mischiefs began to follow, which were clearly beyondthe powers of the cat. Jagamohan replied:Mother, I see that you are determined to turn me into a theist in myold age. For this difference I may have been partly responsible.
Annada bestowed on hisson-in-law a house in Calcutta and sufficient money to keep him forlife. We had never been able to fathom how deeply Satish loved his uncle.
VWe two friends took up our quarters, with the Master, in Shivatoshshouse. Another evening Damini happened to be at home.