jari-developers

Re: [Jari-developers] smp question.

From: Dan Kruchinin
Subject: Re: [Jari-developers] smp question.
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:07:31 +0300

On 12/5/06, Alfeiks Kaänoken <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 18:52:53 +0300
"Dan Kruchinin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> i want to get some offers from you about smp.
> at current moment, i use global cpu's linked list, like this:
> extern struct cpu {
>   /* gdt */
>   /* tss */
>   /* idt */
>   /* memory area or areas */
>   struct cpu* next;
> } cpus;
>
> so, if we have, for example, 8 cpus, we can't get "atomic" access to needed
> one, in this case we must walk along cpus list.
> this problem can be solved by using fixed array. in this case we have
> another minus, because array must be determined at compile time.
> so, if we have only 2 cpu, we will have array size = 2. and if user, for
> example, add new 2 cpus, he has to recompile kernel to increment cpu array
> size from 2 to 4.
>
> - linked list can detect number of cpus dynamically, but on nearly each
> major operation, we should to make searching of needed cpu.
It's named a load balancing and politics for it, i.e. you have a list of the cpu load avergage and system that care about load balancing do the following:
- select a best cpu
- use it, without any search.

we must search best cpu for it selection ;)
it's not get a much time, but it will be used nearly for each major operaition in sheduler.
load balancing in case you described it can be implemented only in middle level - server per servers communication.

The getting of the loading avergage will be used anyway.
> - in fixed array we can fastly get needed cpu, this ds can't determine cpu's
> number dynamically.
It's a terrible and fucking method for dummies.

> so, how do you think, what approach is better.

mua-ha-ha,  so, guys that wrote linux dummers?  and may be guys in bell labs, that developed plan9 are dummers too?
i don't think so.

but we have to determine building approach of jari kernel. it means, that we should realise some stratagy, and using it we should give potentional user some rouls.

- do we give user a flexability configurable system
- or may be we should to meke "smart" system, that'll be automatically determine some major things(yep, like "svista" =))
- or may be we should make a concensus between this two approachs?

--
Alfeiks Kaänoken,
Technical Team Leader of the