javaweb-people

Re: [Javaweb-people] Re: JSP Servlet container / WEB server

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Javaweb-people] Re: JSP Servlet container / WEB server
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:21:46 -0700

Nic Ferrier wrote:
Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:
How was kawa working for you BTW? It seems that is one way to go to combine lisp-like and java-like languages/runtimes.

With due respect to Per who is listening here (I think).

Yes.

That's one of the things I'm talking about. Kawa's great, but it's
reimplementing a lot of what guile already does. For what purpose?
Well, partly because it's fun but mostly because it's difficult to
mix the VM and other languages, eg: scheme.

At this point, from my point of view, Kawa has turned into what Guile aspired to but never become: a multi-language framework for implementing higher-level or special-purpose programming languages. The vision for Guile was it would provide a framework for implementing other programming languages besides Scheme, but that never really happened. However, Kawa does support multiple programming programming languages, some of which (XQuery, Nice) are very different from Scheme.

I continue to work on the Scheme side of things, partly because it's fun, partly because the one support contract I have is with someone who uses (and really loves) the Scheme aspect of Kawa, and partly to "keep up with the competition". However, I spend more time on the XQuery implementation (Qexo), and various libraries (XML and servlet tools,
and I've started playing with a "functional" gui toolkit).

As an aside: XQuery is a neat little language - and Qexo is a neat implementation!
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://per.bothner.com/