[Javaweb-submit] GNU Parse

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: [Javaweb-submit] GNU Parse
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:45:31 +0100

Hi!

I'm currently developing a piece of Java software that I was
planning to contribute to the GNU project. Before doing that,
however, I realize that there are a number of steps to go
through.

The software I've written is a parser generator for Java. It
is currently still an alpha-version (0.1), but works for LL(k)
grammars. I'm planning to extend it to C#, C and/or C++. I
also plan to extend it with other types of grammars. Please
check the temporary distribution I've set up here (includes
a README.txt with rationale for the project):

http://www.percederberg.net/software/projects/gnuparse/index.html

Now, these are my questions/issues:

1. I've chosen the name "GNU Parse" for this project. It may or
   may not be suitable, I'm not aware of the details in the GNU
   project naming standards. So, it this name ok?

2. I've licensed everything under GPL + linking exception, just
   as GNU Classpath. I hope this is suitable.

3. I'm using several gnu.* package names in the source code, but
   they may or may not cause conflict with other packages:

      gnu.app.parse (and two subpackages)
          For the parser generator application. Analyzes
          grammars and generates Java source code for an
          LL(k) parser.

      gnu.text.codegen.java
          For a Java source code writer. Contains an object model
          for writing Java source code (independent of the parser
          stuff). This package makes code generation easier and
          allows application of style guides.

      gnu.text.parse
          For the parser run-time library. Allows creating a
          tokenizer and a parser in run-time. Used by generated
          parsers, but may also be used directly.

   I mailed Per Bothner about the conflict with gnu.text and he
   suggested that I avoid that. I agree with his opinion, but
   have no good suggestions with respect to the package I'm
   currently naming gnu.text.codegen.java. This package has really
   nothing to do with this application (and was in fact slightly
   adapted from a previous application of mine). Also the
   gnu.text.parse package may be used outside the scope of the
   parser generator, but thay may not be so probable. I'm currently
   thinking to change to this:

     gnu.parse (with subpackages)
          For the parser run-time library and the application.

     gnu.codegen.java
          For the generic Java code generator. (I'll add C# later
          on, in a separate package).

   So, what do you say? I'd be happy for any suggestion.

4. I'm already at my bandwidth limit with my ISP, so I cannot
   host a project web site. I understand that downloads and
   source code can live at Savannah, but I'd also need web
   hosting for documentation and similar. Can the GNU project
   provide this?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments on the above.

Cheers,

/Per

--
Per Cederberg, Software Consultant
http://www.percederberg.net/software

RMS Birthday Present: It's GNU/Linux dammit! Read more at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html