jessie-discuss

Re: [Jessie-discuss] TLS Delegation

From: andrew cooke (noao)
Subject: Re: [Jessie-discuss] TLS Delegation
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:16:03 -0400 (CLT)

hi,

thanks for the reply - you confirmed what i suspcted (that this isn't
common).

just fyi, looking at the global grid forum's software (ggf being the
academic grid people, as far as i can see) they seem to be using a java
package called puretls, which might do this.  so i'm going to have a look
at it today.

to be honest, i doubt that we could commit to using anything that doesn't
already exist (i'm supposed to have something ready for demonstration in
january and we're still designing the security), but i guess it would be
useful to keep it in mind as a possible future extension (if i understand
correctly it's an obscure but very useful little trick for distributed
security - lets the code on the server use transport layer security in the
name of the client - but it's quite possible that the future is message
layer security for this kind of thing).  the pluggable handler idea sounds
like a decent solution (although i don't know much about all this).

cheers + thanks again for the reply,
andrew