jpkg-devel

[Jpkg-devel] FreeBSD package flaws

From: Nicolas Souchu
Subject: [Jpkg-devel] FreeBSD package flaws
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:07:39 +0200

Joint, the FreeBSD thread about package system.

We have to discuss about some issues regarding the easiness of
jpkg usage. I was thinking about it recently and thought it should be as
simple for the package maker as for the package administrator (end user).

We should handle with special care the installation of multiple version of
packages since its not always possible to remove previously installed ones
as Debian dpkg thinks...

Also, the package management shall be centralised and include some
configuration management operations (CVS, other) to take care about user
configurable scripts.

I think a database is needed to describe package dependancies.

jpkg shall also be designed to accept easy writing of OS installation
procedures/application with it.

Cheers!

Nicholas

--