k-mib-ppc

Re: [K-mib-ppc] Welcome to the list

From: Calum Selkirk
Subject: Re: [K-mib-ppc] Welcome to the list
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:05:42 +0200

* Yves Combe address@hidden [2003-08-17 14:07 +0200]:

> Hello,

hello Yves ..

> It's goal is to discuus about the ppc version of the Knoppix-MiB CD.

I made a number of comments re both the MiB and Linuxtag ppc CD's in
this thread:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19916&highlight=#19916

To recap briefly ..

The hwdata-${version}/Cards does not seem to be setup to pass "UseFBDev"
when setting up the XF86Config-4. Thus the only option for booting is
with the framebuffer as graphics driver (xserver=fbdev) .. at least on
the r128, and radeon based machines I tested on.

Not being a debian user I'm not sure if the ppc debs have specific
patches for ppc (for both hwdata and kudzu). I have patches against
kudzu-0.99.99 and hwdata-0.8 (though they *should* apply to older
versions).

Also, dri kernel modules (Michel Daenzers trunk) for radeon, r128 and
ati are missing which afaik are available as debs. These only make sense
if the specific xfree drivers (radeon, r128 and ati) are used and would
require their use (as opposed to the fbdev driver).

http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/

As a side note, I really think Knoppix would benifit from somekind of
abstracted build process, one that would make the development of
differing targets (ports, and to a greater degree, customizations)
easier (at least from a developers perspective). Though it's fairly
simple to reverse engineer the boot process and hardware setup, and
of course users and developers can re-master, it's alot more inflexable
when your target is non standard (such as a powerpc port). Again, I'm
not a Debian user and so I say that  more is from the persepective
of the development of livecd technology as a whole.

best regards

cal