kawa-commonlisp-dev

Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] 'NIL != '()

From: Jamison Hope
Subject: Re: [Kawa-commonlisp-dev] 'NIL != '()
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 18:27:26 -0400

On Aug 7, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Charles Turner wrote:

Just remembered we had this conversation ages ago:

Me>> I also noticed a weird bit of behaviour (noticed whilst puzzling over
why my PUSH wasn't working):

#|kawa:4|# '(1 . ())
(1)
#|kawa:5|# '(1 . nil)
(1 . nil)
#|kawa:6|# (eq '() nil)

Jamison> I think that one is because (quote nil) is not currently evaluating to
nil, as it should:

Helmut> I think this is a reader issue: (eq 'nil '()) => #f

Which is what I've just repeated... So do you think the solution is to
special case a symbol called NIL in the reader? That seems to make
redundant the symbol binding in EmptyNamespace (or CL package) to
CommonLisp.FALSE, which concerns me.

Yeah, we need to have a special case for the symbol called NIL somewhere.
I'm not sure where the right place for that is.

--
Jamison Hope
The PTR Group