koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] templating

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] templating
Date: Mon May 13 13:08:02 2002

Tonnesen Steve wrote:

After a bit of playing with HTML::Template I have the following proposal

Templates stored in includes directory under templates subfolder, each
module (ie search, circ, catalog, etc.) has another subfolder, then
another subfolder for each template, and then subfolders for each version
of that template.

If we really want to have a "plug-in" system that permits many looks and/or many languages, we must have a directory for each plug-in. thus, we MUST have, under the template directory :
DEFAULT
   opac
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
   librarian
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
       biblio_add.tmpl
       circulation.tmpl
   images
       image1.gif
       anotherimage.gif
FRENCH
   opac
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
   librarian
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
       biblio_add.tmpl
       circulation.tmpl
   images
       image1.gif
       anotherimage.gif
MY_GREAT_NEW_LOOK
   opac
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
   librarian
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
       biblio_add.tmpl
       circulation.tmpl
   images
       image1.gif
       anotherimage.gif
AQUA_LOOK
   opac
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
   librarian
       search.tmpl
       search_result.tmpl
       biblio_add.tmpl
       circulation.tmpl
   images
       image1.gif
       anotherimage.gif

Thus we can easily create a new "look" (directory copy + modifiing it), and build a .tar.gz dedicated to the plug-in. When koha is launched, you just have to scan the "template" directory and list all sub-directories. We could even have 2 librarians with a different look. (which may be interesting for international libraries like mine ;-) )
This structure is used by softs like nuke / post-nuke, and are great.
--
Paul