koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Feedback

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: [Koha-devel] Feedback
Date: Thu Jul 4 17:42:04 2002

Dan,
sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.  I've been in the midst of
a very hectic week.  Without further ado ...

At 21:29 6/30/02 -0400 Dan Watts wrote:

>At 03:36 AM 6/28/02 +0000, pate wrote:
>>To the Koha community;
>>
>> ... SNIP ...
>>I'd like to hear back from people who are currently using or
>>investigating Koha.  If you've got stories, requests, or suggestions,
>>please feel free to drop me a line at:  address@hidden
>
>On behalf of the Pillsbury Free Library (http://warner.lib.nh.us/) in
>Warner NH, I've been investigating Koha for about a year now. I ran
>into a number of the same issues others have at getting this
>installed. When the next release comes out, I'll probably take
>another look and see if I have an easier time of getting it
>installed.

Please do try the 1.2.1 release we made earlier today.  It should install
cleanly using the new installer tool.  I'll be very interested in hearing
about your experience with it.

>Difficulties I ran into include:
>
>  Links for URLs that didn't exist (it wasn't too hard to figure out
>  what they should be)

I think we've got the dead links taken care of.   We should probably add a
link checker to our pre-release test suite.

>  Difficulty understanding/using the acquisition module. (I haven't
>  tried the simple mode yet)

Please do use the simple ... it's the preferred mechanism for all but
larger libraries.  HLT is in the midst of writing some documentation which
should cover the non-simple mode acquisitions (among many other things).

>  Difficulty understanding what the library card number sequence is
>  supposed to be. (I figured it out eventually. I figure I'll rip out
>  that code and replace it with something else. This would be a good
>  candidate for providing an optional module)

It would be good to modularize this.  If you're planning on writing your
own code for this, it would be nice to try to roll that (along with the
changes needed to modularize things) into the Koha sources.

-pate
Kaitiaki
the Koha Project