koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] CPAN and re-inventing the wheel

From: Pat Eyler
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] CPAN and re-inventing the wheel
Date: Sat Jul 6 13:12:01 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Alan Millar wrote:

> Hi-  I noticed Steve found and fixed a bug in checkvalidisbn().  That's
> great, but it got me thinking about re-inventing the wheel.
>
> There are a number of CPAN modules that Koha could be making use of,
> such as in this case Business::ISBN, which seemingly would bypass
> the whole issue of us needing to find and fix such bugs.

This is something that bears talking about.  Using CPAN modules allows us
to use stable, thoroughly debugged code, and to focus our time and efforts
on other things.

> I've seen comments in the past, somewhere in the list archives I
> believe, that some Koha folks would rather write new routines in
> order to have fewer installation dependencies.
>
> I don't think installation dependencies are the real problem.  I
> think installation simplicity is the real problem.  If there was
> an easier way to ensure dependencies are met, wouldn't that be
> better than writing more code and introducing more bugs?
>
> Perhaps we could have a step in the install process that checks
> for required modules, and runs (or at least creates) some sort of CPAN
> download script to install any missing modules.

We're already checking for (some) dependencies, and should probably just
check for as many as we create.  The idea of creating a CPAN script is a
good one (at list for non MAC/Win32 boxes).

> What do you think?

Anyone else want to weigh in?

-pate