koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] we've got a winner :-) => IMPORTANT

From: Roger Buck
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] we've got a winner :-) => IMPORTANT
Date: Thu Oct 3 21:36:01 2002

Chris Cormack wrote:
> Hmm I think you could get around this quite easily by setting an ENV
> variable in apache for your virtual hosts with the location of koha.conf in
> it. Then making Output.pm fetch it from the environment variable.
> We could set this up quite easily for you if you liked?
>
> Also with the use of Alias and ScriptAlias commands you could remove all
> duplication, see below for an example.

Hmmm I think I know exactly what you're talking about... and I think I
understand how it works... but I still think there is a better option...
that works just as well for large installations as for small.

> Especially with the move to templates, so there will be no more static html
> files

OK... maybe I have misunderstood the current situation... or maybe the
templates will overcome some/all of this stuff:

1. Under current setup, I see no clear distinction between opac and
intranet file space - for example, I might be using public opac but
public opac is calling templates + some images and includes stored in
intranet file space? This "blurring" of the lines between Opac and
Intranet will become problematic - especially where security is
concerned... but maybe for knowing "what goes where" in general?

2. By the principle of least surprise, I would expect to be able to
install and run both opac and intranet web services without requiring
virtual hosts for either - A user should be able to integrate both
services seamlessly into an existing web server - all on a single port
at a single hostname.... as well as allowing for virtual hosts if
preferred. I don't think this is currently possible "out of the box". If
not, then why not?

3. The answer to #2 above may be that opac and intranet cgi scripts and
web pages require same virtual path in webspace even though they are
stored in physically separate locations, for example:

On OPAC virtual host:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/opac/
------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^-----------------------------^^^^^^

On INTRANET virtual host:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/koha/
------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^-----------------------------^^^^^^

This is the only reason I can see that a separate virtual host is
required?

If true, then why is it better to have multiple virtual hosts - compared
with separate physical paths in config file. I don't see any security
benefits in using virtual servers for the above case?

Am I on the wrong track here? :)

R.

Chris Cormack wrote:
For example,

>  Eg
>  <VirtualHost koha1.something.org>
>      ServerAdmin address@hidden
>      DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs
>      ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/
>      ErrorLog /var/log/apache/koha1-error.log
>      TransferLog /var/log/apache/koha1-access.log
>      SetEnv KOHACONF /etc/koha1.conf
>  </VirtualHost>
>

>  <VirtualHost koha2.something.org>
>      ServerAdmin address@hidden
>      DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/koha/htdocs
>      ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/www/koha/cgi-bin/
>      ErrorLog /var/log/apache/koha1-error.log
>      TransferLog /var/log/apache/koha2-access.log
>      SetEnv KOHACONF /etc/koha2.conf
>  </VirtualHost>

[--snip--]