koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: iso-8859-2 - probelm

From: Ambrose Li
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: iso-8859-2 - probelm
Date: Sun Jan 19 18:34:03 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:10:25AM +0100, Benedykt P. Barszcz
wrote:

> I am waiting for the programmers of Koha to make their
> move. This week I am going to upgrade to Redhat 8.0. I heard
> from a friend of mine that thay (at RedHat) have switched
> to UTF-8 in the whole distribution. Will it influence my
> translation? If so, the whole transition will be put on hold
> on my part.  I don't know how to force an iso-8859-2 charset
> in editors on a UTF-8 aware redhat system !!!

If Red Hat switched to UTF-8 for the whole distribution the
Chinese might not be very happy :-)

If Red Hat switches to UTF-8 and it affects Polish, you have a
few choices:

1. Force the whole Red Hat to use ISO-8859-2 again. For this, I
   believe you change the LANG setting in the /etc/sysconfig/i18n
   file. You probably don't want to do this.

2. Switch to UTF-8 for the Polish translation.

   If you choose (2) you might want to (for the sake of not
   confusing yourself when you open the old files) convert all
   the ISO-8859-2 files to UTF-8. You can use the "iconv" command
   to do this.

3. Leave the system in UTF-8, but edit the Koha translations in
   ISO-8859-2.

   Using emacs is one option; if you use vi, it should basically
   be starting rxvt or another terminal emulator in iso-8859-2 mode
   and changing the LANG variable once you get into the terminal
   emulator.

Ambrose

--
Ambrose Li  <address@hidden>