koha-devel

[Koha-devel] recode and UTF-8

From: Benedict
Subject: [Koha-devel] recode and UTF-8
Date: Tue Jan 21 13:26:03 2003

Hi all,
I have just installed redhat-8.0. Nice stuff it is. But my polish files
from cvs don't show in Kate editor. Fortunately there are other editors
that work fine. I figure this must have something to do with what a
friend of mine told me that redhat switched to UTF-8.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

I have found this package called "recode". It comes with a library and a
program.It recodes between different charsets. I could easily convert
between iso-8859-2 and UTF-8 an example file with command:
recode l2..u8 <updatbiblio.tmpl >testrecode.tpml

Now the question: What should I do. Is Koha going to be moving to UTF-8?
Is it up to the translators to decide what charset should be used?
How does that affect charsets in Mysql database?

Benedict