koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] call for MARC21 parameters => IMPORTANT

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] call for MARC21 parameters => IMPORTANT
Date: Wed Jan 22 01:20:18 2003

Albert P. Calame a écrit:

Hi!
   I am a librarian, with some technical expertise, and perhaps I can help
in this area. I need to know more exactly what is required. I have had some
experience in building files to create data structures for MARC-like data
bases.  If you can show me exactly what you need, I will be able to tell if
it's something I can manage.

Regards,
Al Calame
There is no need for a technical expertise for this job.
Let me explain : in the 2.0 version, librarians can define what they want to use in theirs local MARC flavour.
So, there are 2 solutions :
* we define nothing => every library will have to define what they want to manage.
* we define a proposal for each marc flavour, during installation.

That's the second solution that is the best imho.
and that's the one I used for UNIMARC in french : our 1st library here in france, define it's UNIMARC parameters tables as they want, then I dumped the 2 files, and included them in standad distro. Any library that uses koha then can begin with this proposal or modify it. But they get a nice-and-working DB immediatly after installation.

So what you have to do is pretty simple : install a MARC21 koha. go to parameter page and define a MARC21 that fits your need (for example : title and author on tab 0, isbn on tab 1, additional author on tab 1, ignoring "size" and "collection" parameters...) When you get something that fits your needs, you dump the 2 tables, send them to me, and it will be a starter for every MARC21 library.

Is it clear ?

don't forget to go to

http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=UserDoc

to get some help.