koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Mapping multiple MARC subfields to single Koha field

From: Albert P. Calame
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Mapping multiple MARC subfields to single Koha field
Date: Mon Jan 27 10:04:01 2003

Ambrose LI Cheuk-Wing  <address@hidden> wrote:

>I think I found a (minor?) problem with the MARC->Koha mapping.

>E.g., in MARC21, author should not be mapped to item 245$a, but
>rather certain subfields in 245 concatenated together. Usually
>this is at least $a followed by $c, but may involved other
>subfields too.

    Just a clarification but in MARC 21, author should be mapped to 100$a, not 245 which is for Title information.

    245$c  is for responsibility statement and may contain author information, but it may also contain lots of other information. It is not normally indexed with author information either.  Unless you can map the same information to two locations, put Author in 100$a and leave it out of 245.

Regards,
Al Calame

Librarian-at-Large,
Albert P. Calame Consulting