koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Reports engine

From: Pierre Cauchois
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Reports engine
Date: Fri Jul 11 03:46:04 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:22:54 +0000 (GMT)
"Trevor Jenkins" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Pierre Cauchois <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking of coding a reports engine for a few days, but i'm
> > sure i'm not the only one to have ideas about that, so i'd like to know
> > what you think about it, and if something has already been done.
>
> Do you mean a "reports engine" similar to the Crystal Reports or
> ReportSmith products for Windows? If so I'm willing to help. I'd be very
> interested to help if this report engine were also usable outside of Koha.

well, i don't know these softwares but from what i found on the web, the idea
would be the same, except that it would be free software :). my idea is to
build a web interface (a form) interpreted by a perl script to build a query,
and then output it in a rss config file. The output of this query would be
formatted in rss (that's a XML defined format). Parsing the XML file is not the
goal of the engine, though we could provide some kind of stylesheet.

comments and critics?

/pierre