koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Changing member searching

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: [Koha-devel] Changing member searching
Date: Mon Jan 26 14:48:13 2004

Chris and I talked about member searching the other day on IRC, prompted by the
fact that member searching in the current release doesn't work like it used to:
A search for 'leonard, o' will return no results.  You have to leave out the
comma for it to work. Other problems exist in both the current version and in
older versions: a search for the last name 'van dyke' will return no results,
but a search for 'van' will bring up results which include the name 'van
dyke.'

Chris and I tried some changes to Search.pm which improved results in searches
for names with spaces in the last name, but the requirement was that the comma
had to be included.  So whereas before a search for 'leonard o' would return
the record for Owen Leonard, now you'd have to search for 'leonard, o'.  At our
library that requirement is perfectly acceptable--it's the way we're used to
searching anyway.  I think we should incorporate these changes into Search.pm,
but I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

  -- Owen

----
Nelsonville Public Library
http://www.athenscounty.lib.oh.us