koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Independed branch functions

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Independed branch functions
Date: Tue Sep 13 01:43:28 2005

Owen Leonard a écrit :
HDL,

Can you give us all a summary of the new independent branch functions
you've added recently?  What kind of things does it allow and restrict?

 Thanks,

   Owen
Hi Owen,

If you set IndependantBranches to no, you get nothing new.
If you set it to yes, then you get a single library database, with separate branches for daily management. That means :
- a biblio can be created/edited by anybody
- an item can be created only for your own branch (ie : a librarian is in borrower table, so he is in a branch)
- an item can be modified/deleted only it it's in your branch
- you can create a borrower only in your branch
- you can modify a borrower only if he is in your branch

Of course, you still can :
- search the catalogue or anything else
- issue/return books
on everything

Note that librarians with the superlibrarian flag can do whatever they want, they are not concerned by this limit.

This is a very interesting feature, imho (useless for npl if I don't mind).
I have 1 library wanting this (16 branches) , + 1 that could sign up in 2006Q1 (24 branches) ! That's specialized libraries, that want common catalogue & issuing, but have their own teams.

Note that the IndependantBranches is not the same thing as the new bookfund branchcode : this new feature enable the Koha administrator to say "ok, this bookfund can be used only by branch X". Not exactly the same thing but related to indeed, so I speak of it here too.
--
Paul POULAIN