koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] BIG BIG problem (utf8 & mySQL)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:33:03 +0100

Tümer Garip a écrit :
Hi,

Our production system koha is utf8 on a windows platform. I do not know
whether its different in Unix but here is the solution we found.

Any read-writes to mysql is through biblio.pm so we saved the biblio.pm
as an utf8 file.
(Windows gives you the opportunity of saving a text file in
ANSI(iso8859), utf8 or unicode(16bit).)
This sorted out 2 problems:
1-Reading,writing from db and display is allways utf8
2- Char_decode subroutine works correctly when importing MARC into Koha

I believe what this does is something similar to Pauls smiley solution
simply and effectively. With this we did not even need binmode(STDOUT,
":utf8") either which is very cleverly debugged by Paul.

Hope it helps,

No, this doesnt. But maybe you could tell us :
* which mySQL version you have.
* what encoding you use in your table ?
* you speak of Biblio.pm. But unicode can be anywhere else : in borrower name for example, or in branchname. What happends if you try to add a "true unicode" character in a branch name/borrower ? Does everything works as well ?

anyway, i'll try to save my script as utf-8, and report if it changes something.
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants