koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: [Zebralist] utf-8, probable solution

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: [Zebralist] utf-8, probable solution
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:33:10 +0100

Sebastian Hammer a écrit :
Paul,

this confirms our impressions at Index Data.. somehow, while PHP has managed to approach Unicode in a way that mostly 'just works' (probably by not doing more than necessary to it), Perl seems to have all kinds of internal logic which has the effect of making Unicode really, really complicated and unintuitive. We had two guys spending a week or so each trying to make heads or tails of the UTF-8 tutorial, and still we felt at the end like we were fudging around the problem rather than really solving it well.

I'm *not* fond of Perl's approach to Unicode.

I skope with a french guy involved in Perl a lot (Paul Gaborit)
It seems that the 5.8.x Unicode handling in Perl had a major goal : change nothing to previous scripts, that must continue working in 5.8 as well as they used to work in 5.6 That's why Perl tries to find what you want to do, and if you don't force it to speak utf8, it will revert back to something more compatible with "old world"

Not a bad solution I think, except it's a solution hard to find.

Another problem we still have it seems, it that DBD::mySQL seems to be handling poorly utf8 mysql :-(

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants