koha-devel

[Koha-devel] koha 3.0 installer toughts and suggestions

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] koha 3.0 installer toughts and suggestions
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:00:12 +0200

Hi,

I was wondering last week why ppl think Koha is so complex to set up working.
I think I have found at least one good reason :
the installer mixes technical (computer geek) questions and functionnal (librarian) questions. It ask for : mysql password, koha directory, apache user name... questions that a librarian often can't answer. Then, it ask for "MARC flavour", "authority framework", ... questions that a computer guy can't answer either.

So, I think that for koha 3.0, we should completly separate both.
The functionnal install (marc flavour...) being done in a webbased interface, once koha has been set up by the sysadmin.

just my 2cts on this topic

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants