koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] template system abuse

From: Robert Flach, Poet and Critic
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] template system abuse
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:03:09 -0500

I don't do a lot of hacking on koha, and I've never submitted a patch, though I do use it and am an avid follower of the development list. (I am a web application developer by trade though). So take this for what it's worth. It's a bad idea to generate ANY HTML in the code. Keep the presentation in the presentation layer (templates). No matter how obvious or useful a particular choice may seem now, it will cause you heartache down the road. Regarding the select box, Imagine that I as a template designer wanted to substitute a column of checkboxes or radio buttons for the select box. With the proposal below it would be impossible, yet that is merely a matter of presentation which should be able to be changed only by modifying the templates.

Adequate objections have already been made to the fully constructed url.

Good luck, and thank you all for a great, robust product. Keep making it more robust, don't make it less.
Sincerely,
Robert Flach

Owen Leonard wrote:
and in template:

href="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="url" -->"

Paul's point is the same as I would like to make: using this method removes
the option for the template designer to use a form instead of a link.  What
about leaving both options open?  Have the script create the URL variable
but also make all the individual variables available for use?

<!-- TMPL_LOOP NAME="items" -->
  <option value="<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="value" -->" <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="selected" -->><!-- TMPL_VAR
NAME="name" --></option>
<!-- /TMPL_LOOP -->

Paul, is this method translator-safe?  I thought you had had difficulties
in the past with constructions like this?

In both cases, past practices have colored my attitude towards these
practices:  Any time the script generates HTML, you run the risk of no
complying with the standard chosen by the template designer.  This was a
problem when we were transitioning between HTML and XHTML.  If we can all
agree on complying with XHTML transitional (at least), we just need to
follow the rules:

URLs which are generated by the script must include proper encoding of
ampersands (&amp; instead of &)

"selected" attributes generated by the script must follow the rules of no
implied attributes: selected="selected"

So it comes down to three suggestions from me:
1. Make options available to the template designers.
2. Ensure that generated markup is XHTML compliant
3. Find out if we're breaking the translator script :)

  -- Owen