koha-devel

[Koha-devel] [Fwd: Re: Koha Virtual Appliance]

From: Rachel Hamilton-Williams
Subject: [Koha-devel] [Fwd: Re: Koha Virtual Appliance]
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 13:26:01 +1200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Koha Virtual Appliance
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:03:58 -0500
From: Jim Kronebusch <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On Fri, 04 May 2007 12:58:59 +1200, Rachel Hamilton-Williams wrote
Hi Jim,

i'll forward your suggestion to the Koha lists (regular and developer). It sounds like a good idea, and we've had Koha easier to install in the past as part of Debian, but of course every time Koha changes you have to do a new one.

I suspect all the project needs to do this, is someone keen to do it.

Cheers
Rachel

Thanks for your response. There always seems to be some problems with compatibility when either Debian or Koha has an update. If a virtual machine was created and distributed by the developers every time Koha was updated it sure could make life easier on the end users. And building a virtual machine under VMware isn't much different than building a standard server, so it shouldn't take much extra expertise, just a desire to do so. If this was done the end user would have a pre-built Koha server ready to go. All they would need is some instruction of which .conf files to modify for their personal domain and how to change passwords. This could make things much less technical for the end user, and who better to gather and install all dependencies than the developers.

Another suggestion would be to have them talk to Debian or Ubuntu and see if one of them could add Koha into their software repository. I will be emailing Ubuntu to try and do such a thing. This would make it so that any Debian or Ubuntu user could just "apt-get install koha" and then just wait for setup prompts. Apt would handle all dependencies.

At this point I am trying to build my own VMware image, if I get that done I will try
and make a torrent and get it out on the internet with some instructions.

Thanks again.

Jim Kronebusch

Rachel Hamilton-Williams
General Manager