koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Farsi/Dari translation for Koha

From: Han, Yan
Subject: [Koha-devel] Farsi/Dari translation for Koha
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:28:27 -0700

We almost completed the koha interface into Farsi/Dari. see http://kohadev.library.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl

Server Env.: Koha is running on Linux RedHat 4, MySQL 4.2, and Apache 2.
Translation Env.: Windows XP + Farsi input method

Here is what we have to do

1. I copies npl directory under opac-tmpl into a new folder afghan
2. change charset=ISO-8859-1 to charset=utf-8 for all the files (.inc)
3. change to

"<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

4. system parameter setup. change opac theme to afghan (see no.1)
5. during translation, I have to use two editors
    5a. I use seamonkey so that I can have my student enter Farsi/Dari in Windows
    5b. I then use UltraEdit to copy the code for these Farsi/Dari characters.

a) I did try to use seamonkey for editing, but it does not work. Seamonkey reformatted some of the Perl tmpl files, and substitue automatically some tags in URL encoded method. (for example, %3c ==> < , %21 ==> ! , %20 ==>[space]). However, Seamonkey allows to enter farsi in its interface.

b) I also try to use UltraEdit  for editing, but it could not do the job because my student cannot enter Farsi/Dari in UltraEdit current interface. Using the interface, the Farsi/Dari characters are entered from left-to-right, which is not correct.  I contacted UltraEdit support and at this moment, it does not switch the mode (in English "left-to-right" to Farsi's "Right-to-Left"). It seems that we cannot have beauty of both editors.

Note: in Word, there is an option that you can switch the mode from "Left-to-Right" to "Right-to-Left".
We also tried other editors in Windows such as Wordpad, Textpad.  I did not use Linux editors (e.g. emacs) because I am not aware of Farsi input method in Linux env.

c) Maybe there is a better editor that can make it easier for the translator, but so far I did not find it.

Yan Han
The University of Arizona Libraries