koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: FAQ: Why am I prompted to save a .pl file? was: Pro

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: FAQ: Why am I prompted to save a .pl file? was: Problems adding a biblio...
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:11:42 +1200

On 12/09/2007, at 11:51 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

Rick Welykochy <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
To stop this problem once and for all from ever occurring again,
catch all errors. To catch all errors and thus produce the correct
headers for EVERY Koha script, use exception handling. Works a treat :)

What we should do is make the errors prettier.  We should probably use
CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); - is that OK by everyone and do we need
this only in C4::Output or in all cgi-bin scripts?

Ok by me, and I think it might need to be in each script, but i'm not sure. Ill try it out and see :) Mason has just suggested to me that we could do it with a syspref. So you could turn it off if you wanted. (I know there is some school of thought that exposing errors in the browser is a security risk).

I don't think exceptions are the way to go.  Read the top of perl's
exceptions library:
[...]
# This library is no longer being maintained, and is included for backward
# compatibility with Perl 4 programs which may require it.
#
# In particular, this should not be used as an example of modern Perl
# programming techniques.
[...]

Also, we're never going to catch all errors.  Sysadmins and users
sometimes do surprising things, like transposing fields in the
configuration, or installing new firewalls.

Yep, very good points

Chris

--
Chris Cormack                            address@hidden