koha-win32

[Koha-win32] Re: [Koha] Apache 2 Not Found

From: robweir
Subject: [Koha-win32] Re: [Koha] Apache 2 Not Found
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:20:38 -0500

Hi Doc,
When you install Apache on WinNT, W2000, or WinXP, the fourth dialog of the
Apache install will offer the following choice:
    * for All Users, on Port 80, as a Service
    * only for the Current User, on Port 8080, when started manually

The first choice is the default provided you are installing as a user with
administrative privileges. If you aren't logged in as an administrator, you
won't get a choice - the install will proceed using the second option
because a non-administrator can't create a service.

It sounds like either you installed Apache as a non-administrator or that
you chose the second option when you did the install. The install should
still be useable for testing. You will have to manually start Apache using
"Start Apache in Console" from your Start Menu. This should open a blank
MSDOS window that stays open. As long as that window is open, Apache is
running. You can minimize the window, but don't close it until you're ready
to shutdown Apache. If the window disappears almost immediately, there's a
problem with the Apache configuration.

With the above configuration, if you install the koha windows package, you
will get a warning about not finding an Apache service, but you can proceed
with the install. There will be one more error near the end of the install
when the install package trys to restart the Apache service, but again you
can cancel the error and finish the install. Apache should not be running
while you do the koha portion of the install.

When everything is installed, manually start Apache as described above and
koha should be up and running. I just ran through the entire install process
on a clean NT4 box and verified it works.

If you want to get Apache running as a service, Apache documentation should
give instructions for creating the service after the fact - I think you need
to execute from the apache bin directory:
apache -k install
Or you could uninstall and then reinstall Apache.

A windows install package for the latest RC1 release should be ready
probably tomorrow. So don't waste too much time testing with an earlier
release.

Hope this helps. Let us know via the koha-win32 list, if you have more
questions. I assume you've found the windows instructions at
http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=KohaOnWindows

Rob