koha-zebra

Re: [Koha-zebra] Behind the Scenes Updating

From: Sebastian Hammer
Subject: Re: [Koha-zebra] Behind the Scenes Updating
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:13:48 -0500

Mike Taylor wrote:

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:44:38 -0500
From: Sebastian Hammer <address@hidden>

Right, I see that now, as Paul's set it up in CVS, we're using
general record IDs stored in the 090$c field in the MARC records.

So for _new_ cataloging, we're going to have to generate the 090$c
field for every MARC record we plan to import, then we'll 'update'
the Zebra index, and if we're using shadow registers, this process
will be fault-tolerant.
Yep.

Pedantry note: the operation that needs to be done to resync with the
shadow registers is called "commit", not "update".  "Update" is what
you do to add or change records, and "commit" is what you do to make
those changes permanent.
Uh, pedantry-pedantry note. You are suggesting that 'update' works on records, whereas commit does something else. In fact, 'update' modifies both the record and the index files. When shadow indexing is enabled, those changes are written to separate files and changes to the live records and the indexes happen simultaneously when the commit operation is carried out.

--Sebastian

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <address@hidden>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "Nyeeeoooowng Thhhhhhrb Ptooosh Ptoosh Wibba Wubba Kaaaafooooooom"
         -- Harvey Thompson, imitating a Defender machine.

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data
address@hidden   www.indexdata.com