Re: Sample code for L4Ka now available

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: Sample code for L4Ka now available
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:37:41 +0100

>  > That's true. I also had to change every call to make in the Makefile with
>  > calls to gmake (I'm using FreeBSD which comes with two make variants,
>  > gmake being GNU make). It would be nice to parameterize this in a
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  > MAKE environment variable if possible (but that's not critical at all).
>    ^^^^
>
> Well, using $(MAKE) with either pmake (ie, BSD make) or make (ie,
> GNU make) both set and use the MAKE variable correctly, on my
> Debian GNU/Linux system,
This is true on FreeBSD too.

> so the parameterization already exists.  Strange that you are
> having problems with this.  Are you sure that recursive make is
> always invoked as `$(MAKE)'?
Of course it works as you said. The problem here was that 'make'
was hard-coded in Makfiles of chacmos. Here's the top-level Makefile:

.PHONY: $(SUBDIRS)
$(SUBDIRS):
        make -C $@
        ^^^^
### Better be $(MAKE) -C $@

clean::
        @for d in $(SUBDIRS); do \
          (cd $${d} && make clean) \
                       ^^^^
#### Again, better $(MAKE) clean

But again, this is not a big issue anyway. I could use aliases or
other PATHs as well.

Thanks,

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden